Thursday, January 31, 2013

Art Journal page: Eiffel Tower

I don't really feel like this page is finished. If I had something to write, I'd probably lightly gesso out a square or rectangle on the right to write it on. But I'm drawing a blank. I mean- I could come up with something, but it wouldn't be me, if you know what I mean. Oh well. I guess I'll leave it unless I come up with something else. 

I don't have any in-progress shots this time, but it's a fairly simple page. The blue is Dylusions Spray Ink, let to dry partially and then spread out with a sponge. I tried to do the same with the green, but I couldn't get it to work in the same way, so the green is acrylic paint, thinned with water and applied with a sponge that I had cut spiky grass shaped in, to give it a streaky look. I cut a cloud shape stencil out of cardstock and used a wet paper towel to remove the blue ink from the cloud shapes. The heart is a piece of cardstock covered with strips of book paper and colored with glimmer mist. The butterfly is a sticker. And the tower is from a stencil. I traced it on a piece of cardstock and then joined up all the bits that were separated because it's a stencil. I cut it out, mostly using a craft knife. It's painted with two different colors of gray and then lightly sprayed with some Smootch Spritz in a silver color. Once it was glued down, I gave it a bit of a shadow with a black gelato and some highlights with a white gelato and used a damp q-tip to soften and blend in the gelato. I think that's everything.

I've taken quite a few pictures to show how it really looks, but my light is horrible and it's already dark out. Maybe I'll try again in the morning. Until then, here are a few of the better photos I was able to get.







Close-up to show texture
Edited to add new photo below. It's not much better, but the colors are a bit more true to how they actually look.

1 comment:

  1. I like your technique with the clouds, it gives them a great feel. I often find words don't come for quite some time after I've finished putting a page together, but they almost always do in the end. I think it's because it's a journal as well as art. I hope you finish your page soon, either by feeling it's done, or by the words finding you. :-)

    ReplyDelete